Return to Decision Points Browser
 Final Investment Decision (FID) for migration of PRM to PRM-R
- Type: Final Investment Decision (FID)
- Primary Roadmap:
- Description: Since Precision Runway Monitor (PRM) systems are relatively expensive to procure and maintain multilateration (MLAT) technology is being looked at as an alternative. This is the first step toward the decision for migration of PRM to PRM-Replacement (PRM-R). For FY 2008, funding was requested to support parallel runway operations at Detroit International Airport (KDTW) using a MLAT sensor with PRM capability. This funding will be utilized: to complete the design, testing, and commissioning of the KDTW system and to complete the construction, infrastructure support, and installation for the MLAT system at KDTW. The funding was approved with a combined JRC 2A and 2B decision by the ATO EC on 30 May 2007 for NAS CIP Project S08.01-01 Precision Runway Monitor (PRM)-Multilateration Technology.
- Approving Authority:
Joint Resource Council
- Required Activities:
Operational evaluations at test site; Validation of requirements.
- System Impacts:
1. Approval would lead to replacement of existing PRM Electronic Scan systems with PRM-Replacement using multilateration technology.
2. Approval supports implementation of Closely Spaced Parallel Approach (CPSA)operations.
3. PRM-R offers lower cost approach to implement parallel runway monitoring for Closely Spaced Parallel Approach (CPSA) operations.